New Life Program
“Anyone in bondage to the rule of a substance, activity, or state of mind, which then becomes the center of life, defending itself from the truth so that even bad consequences don’t bring repentance, and leading to further estrangement from God.”
Edward T. Welch, A Banquet in the Grave Common addictions include such things as substances (alcohol and drugs), tobacco, sex, pornography, gambling, pleasure, food, sports, work, success…etc. If you are interested in the New Life Program please contact: Chaplain Nathan Joslin Director of Men’s Ministries (402)563-1096 email@example.com
Welcome to Columbus Rescue Missions NEW LIFE PROGRAM. By entering this program, you are admitting there are areas in your life where you need help. We pray that we will be able to give you the environment necessary to enable you to improve your life with Gods help.The NEW LIFE PROGRAM is a four phase, work-study program. The four phases are:
- The JUMP-START Phase —————— 2-10 weeks
- The FIRM FOUNDATION Phase ————- 3-5 months
- The FREEDOM Phase ——————— 3-5 months
- The FINAL Phase ———————– 1-3 months
2. ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Be interviewed by a Mission Staff Member to begin the JUMP-START phase.
- Interview with the Director of Mens/Womens Ministries.
- Possess or apply for a social security card.
- Sign an agreement to abide by these guidelines.
- Sign that you truthfully answered all AIDS questions.
- You must submit all medications to the staff on duty.
- Check valuables with staff. We recommend that you have valuable items placed in our safe. Please request a receipt.
3. PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
All persons entering the NEW LIFE PROGRAM must first complete the JUMP-START Phase. During the JUMP-START Phase, in order to progress to the FIRM FOUNDATION Phase, you must complete the Thirty (30) Discipleship Lessons. All JUMP-Starters must attend Sunday morning church every week, accept an assigned Mission job, and display a generally good attitude. Before advancing to the FIRM FOUNDATION Phase, you must memorize John 3:16, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, and Romans 6:23. To advance from the FIRM FOUNDATION Phase to the FREEDOM Phase, you must memorize the 27 books of the New Testament, selected verses and complete all assigned studies. You must also attend Sunday morning church every week, continue with your assigned Mission job, and continue to display a generally good attitude. During the FREEDOM Phase, the Experiencing God workbook must be completed, the 39 books of the Old Testament must be memorized, as well as showing satisfactory attendance and participation in any and all other classes, Sunday church, your assigned Mission job, and display a generally good attitude before moving on to the FINAL Phase.On all Phases, Disciples are required to memorize Scripture.
4. TIME SCHEDULE
|Monday – Friday:|
|8:00 AM||Morning Devotions|
|8:30 AM||1st class|
|10:00 AM||2nd class|
|7:30 PM||Evening Chapel service|
|10:00 PM||All Mission guests must be in building, in rooms|
|10:00 PM||If a roommate wishes to sleep lights in room must be out.|
All Disciples are required to attend the following, unless individually excused by a Staff Member.
- Morning devotions.
- Work assignments.
- All classes.
- Counseling sessions.
- Chapel services 7 times/week on the Jump-start & Firm Foundation; 3 times/week on Freedom & Final.
- Sunday services in an evangelical church.
- Any activities specifically assigned by the Director of Mens Ministry.
- Additional activities as announced.
YOU WILL RECEIVE NO PAY, wages or salary for work done at the Columbus Rescue Mission. Work is a very important part of the therapy in this program to enable you to develop into the kind of person God wants you to be. A bonus will be given twice per month – on the 15th and the last day of the month. WORK is a very important part of every persons life. We each should be developing good life-long attitudes about working hard at whatever job we may have. Building good work habits here and learning to be part of a team can help you for your entire life. We expect you to be honest and loyal. The Director of Mens Ministries must make any change in work assignments. Sickness cannot be used as an excuse for not going to work unless you report your illness to your supervisor on duty and stay in bed and/or see a medical doctor. WORK OUTSIDE THE MISSION is permitted and encouraged. Arrangements must be made with the Director of Mens Ministries. You may be limited in the number of hours per week and the scheduling. The Mission will keep no money earned and a joint saving account (the Disciple & Counselor) must be started. OTHER FINANCIAL INCOME such as unemployment benefits, welfare or any government aid including pension, social security, veteran pension, SSD or any regular financial assistance must be reported to the Director of Mens Ministries when entering the program or as soon as the benefits are first received. From this type of income, the Mission must receive $300.00 per month or 80% of any check $375.00 per month or less. Exceptions are permitted. Exceptions must be cleared through the Executive Director. DRESS CODE: PLEASE BE CONSTANTLY AWARE OF HOW YOU LOOK. We should not dress to appeal to the opposite sex or attract attention, but for the purpose of glorifying God. Men must wear collared shirts tucked in and a belt to class, chapel and meals. Unacceptable apparel is earrings on men, T-shirts or sweatshirts with suggestive/offensive advertising, tank tops, undershirts or muscle shirts. Footwear is required. It is the Columbus Rescue Mission policy for men to not wear hats while indoors. PERSONAL CLEANLINESS: Daily you must shower, brush teeth, give attention to hair, and wear clean clothes. Haircuts must be moderate if you have questions consult a Staff Member BEFORE getting a haircut. Your bed must be made every morning and your room kept in order. ROOM INSPECTION: A periodic room inspection of any or all rooms may be made at anytime by two staff members to check for cleanliness and/or contraband. On unannounced occasions, a specifically trained dog from the Police Department will be used to determine the presence of illegal drugs. PASSES: Overnight passes must be obtained 24 hours in advance from the Director of Mens/Womens Ministries. You must submit the date leaving, destination, phone number and time of return. Your work responsibilities must be covered. FIRM FOUNDATION Phase Disciples may have one pass per month. FREEDOM Phase Disciples may have two passes per month. FINAL Phase Disciples may have one pass per week. LATE ARRIVAL: You must return to the Mission at the time you arranged. In the extremely rare event that you are detained, you must call the Mission before your appointed time of return. 4. CONDUCTDiscipline is a divinely ordained activity (Hebrews 12:6) designed to be used by God for our good, that we may share in His holiness (Hebrews 12:10). In order to best reflect the invariable nature of God, it is important that discipline be administered consistently and without personal favoritism (James 2:1-4). To best reflect the personal nature of God, it is important to allow room for the exercise of grace and mercy (John 1:17). To this end, the following guidelines are provided:
- Depending on the Staff Members analysis of the severity of the offence, restriction may be given: 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, and 14 days. Other methods of discipline may be used, depending upon the recommendations of the disciples counselor and/or the Director. These other methods may include:
- Withholding or reduction of bonus – $2 deduction for missed classes, chapels, devotions, $1 for being late, etc.
- change sleeping areas
- additional assignments
- refusal of passes
- dismissal from the program
- any other appropriate measure
- Subsequent offences of a similar nature should be rewarded with a stricter consequence. Example: If 1st offence earned 1-day restriction, 2nd should earn 3 days, 3rd should earn 7 days, etc.
- Restriction for separate offences should not run concurrently, but should run consecutively.
- Total accumulated restriction for any number of offences should not exceed 21 days. If more than 21 days of restriction are accumulated, it seems to indicate that restriction is not an effective disciplinary measure, and removal from the program could occur.
- Once removed from the program, the disciple cannot be allowed back on the program for a minimum of 30 days.
- All Disciples restarting the program shall begin with the FIRM FOUNDATION Phase.
- The Disciples counselor shall handle variances and appeals for variances (concerning discipline); the Director of Mens Ministries and the Executive Director.
5. GROUNDS FOR IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL.
- Possession and/or use of alcohol or illegal drugs either on or off the premises.
- Gambling including purchase of lottery tickets.
- Repeated profanity includes any language not becoming to a gentlemen/lady.
- Possession of any pornography.
- Possession of any weapons.
- Lewd behavior.
- Blatant refusal to obey staff.
- Smoking in the building.
- Stealing from Mission or guests.
NON-FRATERNIZATION: (NO socializing with opposite sex!) Association with members of the opposite sex has been proven to be downfall of many people attempting to straighten out their lives. Experience has taught us that it is necessary that socializing can not be permitted with members of the opposite sex (unless married). A Christ-honoring relationship with someone may be permitted to anyone on the FINAL Phase. Rare exceptions may be considered by the staff. All such exceptions/relationships must be approved in a staff meeting. KINDNESS AND POLITENESS IS EXPECTED. HONESTY AND RESPECT FOR PROPERTY: All Disciples are being trusted to respect the possessions and rights of other. Please do not break this trust. RESTRICTED AREAS:
- Disciples are not allowed in the room of another Disciple.
- Women are not allowed in the mens residence areas.
- Women are not allowed to linger in any mens working areas.
- Food, beverages, and tobacco-use are not allowed in sleeping rooms.
- The office area is off-limits unless a staff member is present.
SMOKING AREAS: Smoking and any use of tobacco is a habit that everyone should quit. Since the Christians body is the dwelling place of God, every effort must be made to keep Gods house clean and smelling good. This pleases God. It would also save you money and give you better health. Smoking is not permitted in any of our buildings or in our vehicles at any time. Smoking is permitted only on the East Side of the building in the designated area. Please do not litter cigarette butts. USE OF RADIOS AND TV: Radios may be used only in your room. Please be considerate of roommate. Music with offensive lyrics is not permitted anywhere on premises. Only Mission owned and operated TVs are permitted.
6. ADDITIONAL SERVICES
- MEDICAL HELP is available from local facilities.
- LAUNDRY service is available to you once a week. A specific day will be assigned for you. You must get your articles to be washed turned in early on that day by 8 AM!
- MAIL service is available. Our address is Columbus Rescue Mission, 1471 25 Ave, Columbus, NE 68601.
- Use of Mission PHONE. One ten minute outgoing local call is permitted daily (not during business hours). Three incoming calls may be accepted daily.
- Use of PHONE. We encourage you to use the mail.
- GED classes are required for those who need to complete their high school education.
- Periodically we schedule events such as concerts, bowling and other functions. Some may be required attendance. Others are available to those interested.
SAFETY AND SECURITY: Fire extinguishers may be found in numerous locations through the building. Please be especially aware where the ones are nearest your room. All Disciples must sign out when leaving the Mission. You must sign in upon return. DONATIONS: All items donated to the Mission are property of the Mission. No individual may assume that he/she may take anything unless it is cleared by a Staff Member. ANY ITEMS TAKEN WITHOUT PROPER CLEARANCE WILL BE CONSIDERED STOLEN MATERIAL. IF YOU CHOOSE TO LEAVE THIS PROGRAM, please do not just walk out. The staff at the Columbus Rescue Mission has love and concern for you. We are grieved when someone disappears and we have no idea why or where he or she went. Please let us know your intentions. Re-entry into the New Life Program will be considered again after thirty days. NOTE: We will not hold nor can we be responsible for any clothing or personal items left here longer than 72 hours. If you leave, or are dismissed, you must take your possessions with you or make arrangements for them. Our storage space if very limited.